WXMI FOX 17, Grand Rapids is s looking for a Director of Technology to manage station engineering and IT operations. Responsible for the complete installation, design and maintenance of all technical operations and for the maintenance and upkeep of the facility.
• This position will define and implement the technical advancements necessary to operate a television station, including transmitter operations and maintenance, technical production operations, Management Information Systems (MIS), and facility maintenance. Will provide the design and implementation of systems as required for future technical enhancements.
• Will be responsible for preparation and monthly accountability of the yearly budget for the Department. Negotiates capital and operating purchases, insures that the station is in FCC compliance, and supervises major RF transmission line repairs and realignment.
• Is responsible for facility maintenance, repairs and budgets, service contracts, inspections, building upgrades and remodels.
• Responsible for all live production equipment and its’ maintenance, repairs, upkeep and troubleshooting. Equipment installation and maintenance of the transmitter, microwave and satellite systems, video servers edit suites, studio lighting, video routing, terminal equipment, monitors, video switchers and audio consoles.
• Will work closely with the NEWS department to insure production quality, as well as on air and master control quality. Will provide leadership and supervision of the production technical staff.
• Will provide structure for the safety concerns of the station and will work with HR in state and federal required safety compliance.
• All other duties as assigned in support of the station
• Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience managing an Engineering group in a television station.
• Bachelor’s degree in technical related field or equivalent experience preferred. SBE certification preferred but not required.
• Candidates should possess experience in the maintenance of transmitters, satellite equipment, cameras, field news gathering equipment, and other production equipment.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of Information Technology as it pertains to broadcasting, including systems and network administration, file transfers, data network systems, encoders and decoders. Prefer prior experience with CAD and system design. Prior experience working in a live newscast environment.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Strong leadership, managerial and supervisory skills.
• The incumbent must be analytical, possess good reporting and record keeping skills with the ability to effectively communicate highly technical information to a non-technical management team.
• Solid listening skills, excellent organizational ability, attention to detail in preparing revenue forecasts, analyses, etc. are all mandatory.
• Director of Technology comes in contact with the General Manager on a daily basis to report and review technical performance each week.
• Works closely with the News department in support of a quality broadcast.
• Is responsible to the entire organization for MIS and facility maintenance with attention given to providing the highest standard of customer service and quality support to the staff.
• Must be willing to be on call.
Please apply online: http://www.tribunemedia.com/careers/.
WXMI Fox 17/Tribune Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
Tribune Media Company (NYSE: TRCO) is home to a diverse portfolio of television and digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment and sports programming. Tribune Media is comprised of Tribune Broadcasting’s 42 owned or operated local television stations reaching more than 50 million households, national entertainment network WGN America, whose reach is approaching 80 million households, Tribune Studios, and a variety of digital applications and websites commanding 60 million monthly unique visitors online. Tribune Media also includes Chicago’s WGN-AM and the national multicast networks Antenna TV and THIS TV. Additionally, the Company owns and manages a significant number of real estate properties across the U.S. and holds a variety of investments, including a 31% interest in Television Food Network, G.P., which operates Food Network and Cooking Channel. For more information, please visit www.tribunemedia.com.